Tanzania emblem
The United Republic of Tanzania

Export Processing Zones Authority

Export Processing Zones Authority

Pharmaceuticals

Pharmaceuticals Sector

The medical industry is the only area that is less competitive, Government has the support of the East African Community of which Tanzania is a member to reverse importing nearly 70 percent of the medicines it needs and it is perfectly positioned to address the untapped medical sector in the Eastern and Central African.

The pharmaceutical market in Tanzania in 2008–2009 was estimated at 182,940 million Tanzanian shillings (TSH) (US$144 million) per annum, of which about 68 percent was supplied from imported sources and the remaining 32 percent from domestic production. The market size grew to US$155 million in 2010, accounting for about 65 percent of the market. The World Health Organisation, the United Nations Comtrade, and Business Monitor International show that the pharmaceutical market grew to almost $450 million in 2017 from $107 million in 2007. in Tanzania revenue generated by pharmaceutical industries will increase when investments are raised, the products of local industries are traded domestically and sectors will bring contribution to the gross domestic product (GDP) of the country.

Some of the available opportunities include; Production of medical equipment, human medicine, injections, gloves, drip waters, laboratory machines, cosmetics, sleeping pills, condoms, masks, medical clothing, etc.

Tanzania Census 2022