Mining has placed Tanzania in the higher ranks of African economies in terms of attracting, FDIs. Tanzania is endowed with a variety of industrial minerals and precious metals as well as gemstones. These include iron ore, soda ash, coal, clay soil, uranium, gold, diamond, and tanzanite
- Processing of precious metals and gemstones.
- Establishing a caustic soda refinery plant in Engaruka
- Production of iron ore and steel in Liganga;
- Processing of nickel in Kabanga; and
- Gold processing in Geita and Mwanza.
- Tanzanite Processing in Manyara
- Investment in minerals smelters
Minerals export accounted for USD 1.37bn of the total value of Tanzania’s export in 2015 (i.e. 24%) with gold representing more than 90% of minerals export. Tanzania is endowed with a variety of industrial minerals and precious metals as well as gemstones. The minerals include iron ore, soda ash, coal, clay soil, uranium, and gold. Tanzania has a variety of gemstones, including aquamarine, garnet, ruby, sapphire, tourmaline, and tanzanite
Most of these resources are being exported in their raw form without being processed; thus denying the country jobs.